Utilize the newsletters by linking to them or referencing them in your articles.
- November 2016 Newsletter – Transformation of Vision Care Around the World
- August 2016 Newsletter – Back to School Eye Exams
- March 2016 Newsletter – Concussions: How Your Vision is Impacted
- December 2015 Newsletter – The Gift of Gratitude
- November 2015 Newsletter – NEWS ALERT!! The holidays are coming!
- October 2015 Newsletter – Discover Apps to Enhance Your Vision!
- August 2015 Newsletter – The Words Are Hopping Like Frogs
- May 2015 Newsletter – Behavioral Optometry in Spain
- March 2015 Newsletter – No Excuses!
- February 2015 Newsletter – Are You Watching the Ball?
- January 2015 Newsletter – School Stressors—Timed Tests
- December 2014 Newsletter – The Gift of Gratitude
- October 2014 Newsletter – Hate Homework?
- September 2014 Newsletter – Out of Balance?
- August 2014 Newsletter – Learning Problems Can Be in the Eyes: A Back-to-School Message
- July 2014 Newsletter – Screen Time for Babies?
- June 2014 Newsletter – Concussions: How Your Vision is Impacted
- April 2014 Newsletter – Play Ball!! It’s SUMMER TIME (almost)!
- January 2014 Newsletter – Happy New Year & Happy You!
Vision Screening Checklist
TBI Vision Screening Checklist
Digital Vision Training Apps
Vision Processing Games List
Vision Rehabilitation Strategies
Please request permission for use and re-printing of the short articles written by Dr. Hellerstein at info@LynnHellerstein.com
Shorts articles – 250-370 word articles on the following: Can Your Child Really See? You Need to See to Visualize (hockey related) Go Beyond the Eye Chart to Really Check Your Child’s Vision You Need to See To Visualize (general sports)
Short articles on Organize It! including organizational skills for:
- Lynn Hellerstein, O.D. – resources, articles, newsletters, joint policy statements, blog:
- College of Optometrists in Vision Development – Find a Doctor, resources on vision & vision therapy
- Vision 3D – Resources for information on vision, vision therapy
- Vision Therapy Success Stories
- Optometric Extension Program (OEP) – resources for professionals and public on behavioral vision
- Neuro-Optometric Rehabilitation – A multi-disciplinary organization involved with rehabilitation of patients with vision problems from brain injury
- Brain Injury Alliance of CO (BIAC) – Support group for improving the quality of life for survivors of brain injury and their families
- COVD Parent Resource Center
Some of the reference articles and books below are published by Dr. Hellerstein, and others include other authors from the fields of optometry, medicine, education, psychology and various therapeutic fields. The references are cataloged by topic.
Vision and Learning Articles
- Hellerstein LF. Visualizing… Children of the Future
- Hellerstein LF. A Surprising Solution for Struggling Kids
- Hellerstein LF. Does your child struggle? The hidden disability: undetected vision problems. Buzz Magazine Nov.1998; 13-14.
- Hellerstein LF, et al. Optometric guidelines for school consulting. J Opt Vis Develop 2001:32(2):56-74.
- Dyslexia- spatial atten not phonol process: A deficit in visuo-spatial attention, not in phonological processing. By Trichur R. Vidyasagar1 and Kristen Pammer.
- Dyslexic Children are Confronted with Unstable Binocular Fixation While Reading
- Infant Vision Screening Predicts Failures On Motor & Cognitive Tests
- Research Update on Visually-Based Reading Disability – compiled by Dr. Barry Tannen
- Visual-Spatial Thinking by Harry Wachs
- Is Visual Memory Predictive of Below-Average Academic Achievement in Second through Fourth Graders? Kulp M, et. al. 1040-5488/02/7907-0431/0 VOL. 79, NO. 7, PP. 431–434. OPTOMETRY AND VISION SCIENCE. 2002 AAO
- Visual Attention in Preschoolers Specifically Predicts Future Reading Acquisition
- Developmental Dyslexia & Vision – Ophthalmology is now “discovering” this
- Could Vision Issues Be Contributing To Your Child’s Difficulty With Learning? (MD/OD article)
- An Antidote to the Poison by Dr. Len Press- dispels the myths and negative comments
- Improvement in Academic Behaviors Successful Treatment of Convergence Insufficiency. Optom Vis Sci. 2012 January ; 89(1): 12–18. NIH study
- AAO position paper on Vision & Struggling Students 2013
- Stealth Dyslexia by Drs. Eide.
- iPad & Android App List 2014– visual processing games
- Saccadic Eye Movement Therapy Improves Reading Fluency – Clin Pediatr (Phila). 2014 May 1;53(9):858-864. [Epub ahead of print]
- Uncorrected farsightedness linked to literacy deficits in pre-schoolers. 1/27/16. NEI.NIH
- Quaid et al. Assoc between reading speed, cycloplegic refractive error, and oculomotor function in reading disabled children versus controls. Graefes Arch Clin Exp Ophthalmol (2013) 251:169-187.
- Wood et al. Vision and academic performance in primary school children. Ophthalmic Physiological Optics 2018
Vision and Learning Books
- Clark, F& C. Hassle-Free Homework. Doubleday;1989.
- Cook, D. When Your Child Struggles: The Myths of 20/20 Vision. Invision Press: 2004.
- Eide, B & F. The Mislabeled child. Hyperion: 2006.
- Fishman-McCaffrey, B., Dunnigan, P, Hellerstein, L. See It. Say It. Do It! ORGANIZE IT! Workbook. HiClear Publishing 2011
- Furth, H &Wachs, H. Thinking Goes to School. Oxford University Press: 1975.
- Hellerstein, L. See It. Say It. Do It! HiClear Publishing: 2010.
- Silverman, L. The Visual-Spatial Identifier- Upside Down Brilliance; DeLeon Publishing: 2002.
- Vitale, B. Unicorns are Real. Jalmar Press: 1982.
- Barry, S. Fixing My Gaze. Basic Books:2009
- Hoopes, A & Applebaum, S. Eye Power: An Updated Report of Vision Therapy. BookSurge Publishing:2009
- Press, L. Applied Concepts in Vision Therapy. OEP:2008
- Benoit, R & J. Jillians Story– How Vision Therapy Changed My Daughter’s Life: 2010
- Eide, B & F. Dyslexic Advantage. Hudson Street Press: 2011
- Rosen, W. The Hidden Link Between Vision & Learning: Why Millions of Learning-Disabled Children Are Misdiagnosed. Rowman & Littlefield:2016
- Aparna Raghuram, OD, PhD1,2; Sowjanya Gowrisankaran, PhD1; Emily Swanson, BS1; et al. Frequency of Visual Deficits in Children with Developmental Dyslexia.
Visualization Books & Articles
- Bandler, R. Using your Brain for a Change. Real People Press: 1985.
- Belknap, M. Taming Your Dragons. D.O.K. Publishers;1986.
- Canfield, J. Success Principles. Harper Resource Book;2005
- Canfield, J. & Sandella, D. Awakening Power;2009.
- Farnsworth, C. See It & Sink It. Harper Collins Publishers: 1997.
- Forest, E. Visual Imagery—An Optometric Approach. OEP: 1981.
- Hellerstein, L. See It. Say It. Do It! HiClear Publishing:2010
- Lampert, L. The Pro’s Edge. Saturn Press: 1998.
- Lyons, E. How to Use Your Power of Visualization. OEP: 1980.
- Porter, K. Visual Athletics. Wm.C. Publishers: 1990.
- Reznick, C. Imagery for Kids. 2009.
- Sandella, D. Releasing the Inner Magician. www.innermagician.com; 2002.
- Vitale, B. Unicorns are Real. Jalmar Press;1982.
- Mindful-Time Magazine 2014
- Cole, K. Regenerating Images in Memory (RIM): An introduction for therapists. pacja.org.au/?p=4512
- Bowell, A. The Efficacy of Guided Imagery/visualization and Journaling in Patients with Irritable Bowel Syndrome. Subtle Energies and Energy Medicine. 16(2)22: 22-26.
- Optometric Vision Therapy: Answering Those Questions
- Dr. Press Blog: Do Physicians Have a Blind Spot When It Comes to Understanding Vision Therapy?
- Dr. Press Blog: Discussion with Pediatric Ophthalmologist
- COVD response to NY Times Magazine article.
- Randomized Clinical Trial of Convergence Insufficiency research article in Archives of Ophthalmology, 2008.
- Position papers & Joint Organizational Statements
- Click here and here: Pediatrics/ Ophthalmology statement on vision therapy outdated, flawed
- Convergence Insufficiency review– by Drs. Press & Fortenbacher
- The Interface between Ophthalmology and Optometric Vision Therapy by Dr. Len Press
- Hellerstein LF: Optometric terminology. Optom Ext Prog 1984; 1(2):1-38.
- Hellerstein LF, Dowis RT, Maples WC. Optometric Management of Strabismus Patients. J Am Optom Assoc 1994; 65:621-5.
- Dr. Press Blog: The Jaapst Trifecta: How Ophthalmology Still Gets It Wrong
- An Ophthalmologist’s Approach to Visual Processing/Learning Differences
- Cochrane Collaboration. Non-surgical interventions for convergence insufficiency (Review). John Wiley & Son; 2011
- Convergence Insufficiency: A Major Review 2012.
- Current Research in Behavioral & Developmental Optometry. 2010
- MDs Talk About Vision Therapy
- Strabismus Surgery Outcomes Clinical Trial
- Visual Impediments & IEP 2013
- Excellent article with video on Convergence Insufficiency
- Convergence Insufficiency Screening Procedure- AOA
- Evidence based Strabismus Outcomes
- Hellerstein LF: Create a Vision Therapy Niche. Optom Manag 3/2013
- Hunter, D. ACCOMMODATION – Dynamic Retinoscopy – Hunter – Surv Oph 01
- Levi, DM. Stereopsis & Amblopia: A Mini-review. Vision Research. 2015
- Positive support on Vision Therapy by MDs
- Fact sheets on Vision Therapy- AOA 2011
- Home-based vision therapy alone NOT effective for convergence insufficiency. Optometry and Vision Science 9/16
- Leslie & Press. Accommodation-dysfunctions-focusing. Australian College of Behavioral Optometrists
- Leslie & Press. Research-evidence-for-accommodation-convergence-problems. Australian College of Behavioral Optometrists
- Leslie & Press. Research-evidence-base-for-amblyopia-strabismus. Australian College of Behavioral Optometrists
- Leslie & Press. Low-plus-prescriptions-summary-of-evidence. Australian College of Behavioral Optometrists
- PEDIG. Home_Based_Therapy_for_Symptomatic_Convergence., Vol. 93, No. 12, Dec. 2016: 1457-1465.
- Birch et al. Amblyopia Affects Childrens Self Perception. JAMA Ophthalmol. 2018. 5527.
3D Stereo Vision
- American Optometric Association video on 3-D Vision
- AOA Statement of the Effects of 3-D Vision
- 3D Vision- Q&A
- Recovery of Stereopsis Through Perceptual Learning in Human Adults with Abnormal Binocular Vision
- 3D in the Classroom: See Well, Learn Well AOA report
- AOA White Paper on Parents’ Conern about Eye & Vision Health as More Classrooms Go High-Tech
- 3D in the Classroom: See Well, Learn Well Maino article
- 3D Vision & Health
Visual Consequences of Brain Injury
- Hellerstein, LF, Fishman B. Visual rehabilitation for patients with brain injury. In: Scheiman, ed. Understanding and Managing Vision Deficits. Thorofare, NJ: Slack Inc, 1997, 3rd edition updated 2009.
- Hellerstein LF. Visual problems associated with brain injury. In: Scheiman, ed. Understanding and Managing Vision Deficits. Thorofare, NJ: Slack Inc, 1997, 3rd edition updated 2009.
- Hellerstein LF Bibliography Summary. 2011. Vision Related Literature on Acquired Brain Injury.
- Hellerstein LF, Winkler PA. Vestibular dysfunction associated with traumatic brain injury: collaborative optometry and physical therapy treatment. In: Suchoff, ed. Visual & Vestibular Consequences of Acquired Brain Injury. Santa Ana, CA: Optom Ext Prog., 2001.
- Hellerstein LF, Kadet TS. Visual profile of patients presenting with brain trauma. J Opt Vis Develop 1999;30(2):51-54.
- Freed S, Hellerstein LF. Visual electrodiagnostic findings in mild traumatic brain injury. J Opt Vis Develop (reprinted) 1999;30(2): 58-66.
- Freed S, Hellerstein LF. Visual electrodiagnostic findings in mild traumatic brain injury. Br Inj 1997;11(10):25-36.
- Hellerstein LF, Freed S, Maples WC. Vision profile of patients with mild brain injury. J Am Optom Assoc 1995;66:634-39.
- Hellerstein LF, Freed, S. Rehabilitative optometric management of a traumatic brain injury patient. J of Behav Optom 1994; 5(6):143-148.
- Freed S, Hellerstein LF: Combined Electrophysiological Studies of the Visual Pathway in Patients with Mild to Moderate Traumatic Brain Injury. Presented at the 25th International Society for Clinical Electrophysiology in Vision Symposium at Oxford University; England. 7/91. To be published in Proceedings of the 25th ISCEV symposium: Techniques in Clinical Electrophysiology of Vision; Documenta Ophthalmologica, Dr. W. Junk Publishers, The Hague-London. 1992.
- Hellerstein LF: Post trauma vision syndrome. Occupat Ther Forum 1/91; VI(4).
- Haba, D. The Role of Vision Therapy in Rehabilitation for Persons with Brain Injury
- Video on brain injury and sports – Interview of a neuro-psychologist
- Suter P, Harvey L. Vision Rehabilitation: Multidisciplinary Care of the Patient Following Brain Injury . Taylor & Francis:2011
- The How & Why of mTBI. 9/12
- King-Devick for Concussion Abstracts 7-2013
- King-Devick for Neurological Function Abstracts
- AOA TBI Electronic Manual
- Vision Rehab Q&A
- Vision Rehabilitative Therapy for therapists
- Mayo Research on King Devick
- TBI Vision Rehab References
- TBI Symptoms Checklist
- Neuro-Opthalmology of Head Trauma. Lancet Neurology; September 16 2014
- Screening for lifetime concussion in athletes: Importance of oculomotor. Brain Inj, Early Online: 1–11.
2014 Informa UK Ltd.
- Vision & Reading Post-concussion
- Vision Problems Post- Concussion in Adolescence
- Elliott, Clark. The Ghost in My Brain. Penguin Random House. 2015
- An Exploratory Study of the Potential Effects of Vision Training on Concussion Incidence in Football. Optometry & Visual Performance 116 Volume 3. Issue 2, 2015, April.
- King-Devick Research Test for Concussion- Research Abstracts- 8.2016
- Cuiffreda, et al. Traumatic Brain Injury: Visual Consequences, Diagnoses, Treatment. Advances in Opthalmology & Optometry: 2016; 307-333
- Gallaway et al. Vision Therapy for Post-concussion Vision Disorders. Optom Vis Sci 2016;93)
- Barker, Felix, et al. Brain Injury Impact on the Eye and Vision _ Optometry and Vision Science. 1/17
- Silver JM, et al. Textbook of Traumatic Brain Injury. 2016; Ch 27 by Dr. Neera Kapoor
- Hofer ME, et al. NeuroSensory Disorders in Traumatic Brain Injury – CH015. Academic Press. 2019. Chapter 15 by Drs. Eric Singman & Patrick Quaid.
- Marshall, S, et.al. Updated Clinical Practice Guidelines for Concussion/TBI and Persistent Symptoms. Brain Injury, 2015. 29(6): 688-700.
- Eye Protection Crucial When Playing Sports
- Hellerstein, LF. 50 Tips To Improve Your Sports Performance. HRCL (2013)
- L. Gregory Appelbaum & Graham Erickson. Sports Vision Training: A review of the state-of-the-art in digital training techniques. International Review of Sport & Exercise Psychology. Routledge Taylor & Francis Group. 1-30.
- Impact of Visual Skills Training on Sports Performance. Advances in Ophthalmology & Visual System 2015
- Clark J, et al. Vision Training Improves Batting Statistics. Plos One. 7(1), 1/12; 1-6.
- Clark J, et al. Potential of Vision Training to Decrease Concussion. Optom & Vis Perf. 3(2), 4/15. 116-125.
- Hellerstein, LF. Pediatric Vision Care-What Nurse Practitioners Need to Know. Advance for NP. 2/04:69-72
- Primitive_Reflexes (1)
- Infant See(R) Importance for Doctors to Refer
- Children’s Vision 1-3 -5 Oregon Foundation for Vision Awareness
- Kulp, et. al. Uncorrected Hyperopia and Preschool Literacy. Results of the Vision in PreschoolerseHyperopia
in Preschoolers (VIP-HIP) Study. 2016 by the American Academy of Ophthalmology 681. Published by Elsevier Inc.
Vision in Special Populations – ADHD, Autism Spectrum, Developmental Delays
- Simmons DR, Robertson AE, et al. Vision in Autism Spectrum Disorders. Vision Research 49 (2009) 2705-2739.
- Maino, Dom. Oculo-Visual Problems of Patients with Special Needs. 2011 Blog Post.
- Taub M, Bartuccio M, Maino D. Visual Diagnosis and Care of the Patient with Special Needs. Lippincott Williams & Wilkens: 2012.
- Lemer, P. Envisioning a Bright Future: Interventions That Work for Children and Adults with Autism Spectrum Disorders. OEP:2007.
- Hong C, Press L. Visual Factors in Childhood Behavioral Disorders. Visionhelp Blog.
- Simmons D, et.al. Vision In Austim Spectrum Disorders-Review. Vision Research 49(2009) 2705-2739.
- Autism Infant Eye Contact – Nature2013
- Vision Problems in Children with Autism Spectrum Disorder- 2E Newsletter
- Hellerstein, LF Vision Problems in Children with SPD. Sensory Focus Fall (2014)
- Christodoulou et. al. Impact of Intensive Summer Reading Intervention for Children with Reading Disabilities… Journal of Learning Disabilities. 50(2) 115-127.
- Lemer P. Outsmarting Autism. North Atlantic Books. 2019.
- Does assessing eye alignment along with refractive error or va increase sensitivity for detection of strabismus.doc
- Is visual memory predictive of below average acad achievemen in 2nd-4th graders?
- Preschool vision screening tests administered by nurse screeners compared with lay screeners- Main Results Phase II–
- Beery Visual motor integration and subtests and related to achievement test scores
- Vision Screening for_Children_36_to_72_Months
Vision & Gifted
- Hellerstein LF: A gift of vision. Understanding Our Gifted 8/90; 2(6)
- 2 E newsletter – Twice Exceptional Newsletter Issue 36 For parents, teachers and professionals. Helping twice-exceptional children reach their potential.
- National Association Gifted Children statement on Ensuring Gifted Children with Disabilities (2E) 10-13
Collaboration with Therapists
- Hellerstein LF, Fishman BI. Collaboration between occupational therapists and optometrists. OT Practice 6/99:22-30.
- Hellerstein LF, Fishman BI: Vision therapy and occupational therapy: an integrated approach. J of Behav Optom 1990;1(5):122-126.
- Hellerstein LF, Fishman BI. Chapter 9, 10 in: Understanding and Managing Vision Deficits: A Guide for Occupational Therapists. Scheiman M. Slack: 2011
Research – Including Brain, Vision
- Neuroplasticity: Teaching An Old Brain New Tricks Goal Statement: Because an adult brain can change, end organs, such as the eye, can be cortically altered, show improvement after insult and injury, and be remediated and enhanced. This paper provides an overview of neuroplasticity and demonstrates how optometrists can take advantage of this innate ability in adult patients.
- Brooks, R. The Power of Resilience. McGraw Hill:2003.
- Lantieri, L. Building Emotional Intelligence. Sounds True:2008.
- Medina, J. Brain Rules. Pear Press;2008.
- Nisbett, R. Intelligence and How to Get It. Norton;2009.
- Willis, J. How Your Child Learns Best. Sourcebooks Inc:2008.
- Additional research & studies- Click Here and Here
- Strabismus Surgery- Poor Outcomes (AET) – Click Here
- Eide, B & F. Dyslexic Advantage; 2011
- Vision: A Collaboration of Eye and Brain
- Doidge, N. The Brains Way of Healing…Neuroplasticity.